Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sweater pillow


It is so important when starting any craft project to fuel up first. On this particular snowy (aargh!) April day, our snack of choice was blueberry muffins. Really just my snack of choice as they were already in the oven when Karen came over, so she had no say in what I made.


She contributed some ginger tea, in hopes of alleviating her recently acquired morning sickness. Yep, surprise! She's preggers!!! This was her first day of morning sickness, and my solution for everything is food, hence the muffins. They helped slightly, as did the tea, but let's just say her stomach wasn't stellar today.


So here was the sweater I started with. You can't tell, but there are holes in one of the elbows, so it was no longer wearable. However, I didn't want to throw it away as it was a gift from my brother, so it gets to be repurposed as a pillow.


I turned it inside out and sewed the bottom and the sleeves shut, to make a three-sided square. Then I turned it right-side out and trimmed off the shoulders until it was about an inch bigger than my pillow form.
(This is my "concentrating face".... Also, how do you like that shirt of mine? I thought so. That's my latest Goodwill score.)


I tucked the pillow form into the sweater case, folded the unfinished edges in, and hand stitched across the top.


Then, for a little interest, I cut a heart out of some light blue fabric and stitched it on to the front of the pillow with red embroidery thread. I left the edges of the heart unfinished.


I like to call this "rustic", which is an appealing word to describe anything homemade that doesn't look perfect. So you can expect to see that word used frequently on our blog.


--Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment